Thursday, May 20, 2010

Snow, sleet, hail, rain, sunshine--all in one day.

I exaggerate. There wasn't snow, until the hail coated the ground white...I call that snow. And it wasn't really sleet, because the hail had formed half-pea-sized pellets that coated everything the ground.
I texted my gardening friend, Sue, who had insisted we plant our tomatoes this past week. She promised to "watch the weather," and take "full responsibility" for the tomatoes. I  laughed when I sent her a photo of the "snow" on the ground, and she texted back, "Don't let it hurt our tomatoes." I responded with a "HA."
I've been reading gardening blogs, feeling discouraged about my gardening knowledge, given that I've gardened over the past 30 years. Unfortunately, it wasn't continuous, which  means that I've had 30 gardens in my mind, but only six in real life, and a few of those were not much to brag about.
I'm reading a gardening blog, A Way to Garden, by Margaret Roach. She has been writing for 30 years about gardening.
She said, "Don't plant tomatoes early." But it is a good learning experience for me as well, to see how tomatoes do when confronted with sleet, hail, rain and then hopefully some sunshine soon.
I will go out and buy some more tomato plants to plant, just in case, to see how they do in comparison.
Not as a "told you so," but as a gardening experiment.

No comments: