Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mixed signals

The day after I took mom to have her hearing aides fixed she called and said, "the left one is beeping. Renee [the caregiver] put in another battery, and it's still beeping. I'm so frustrated."
I said, "Mom, I'll come get it and take it back to Tracy [the hearing aide guy] and he'll fix it."
"What, I can't hear you."
"NEVERMIND. I'LL PICK UP THE HEARING AIDES."
"What?"
I called Tracy and told him I needed to drop them by, which I did yesterday morning.
He called and said, "I can't find anything wrong with them. Just tell her I fixed them."
At 5 p.m. I took the hearing aides back to mom. I ran in, put her hearing aides in, and said I had to be at an appointment, (which was true).
About 7 p.m. she called and said, "My hearing aides aren't working at all. I could just cry."
I said, "MOM, YOU'VE HAD YOUR HEARING AIDES FOR THREE YEARS AND THERE'S NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM. WE'LL GET THEM FIXED."
"What? I don't know about that Tracy."
"THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH TRACY. I'LL TAKE THEM BACK TO HIM."
"What?"
I hung up. Around 8:30 I decided to call Renee and see if she could look at them when she arrived at mom's for the evening.
She didn't answer.
I called mom.
"Mom, is Renee there yet.?
"Who?"
"RENEE. CAN YOU PUT HER ON THE PHONE?"
"I can't hear you. You'll have to talk to my daughter."
"I AM YOUR DAUGHTER." Oh for cryin' out loud.
I feel for people who have deaf relatives.
I hung up.
I called Renee again. She answered. I asked her if she could check the hearing aides.
At 9 p.m. Renee called.
"There were no batteries in the hearing aides."
"Oh."

No comments: