Sunday, March 7, 2010

Garden time

Yesterday Sue, Mary and I were in the garden. Sue dug in the pea bed, I dug up weeds and raked, and Mary talked to Jesse while she raked hay piles. The weather seemed unseasonably warm to me.

I looked up the average temperature for March in Yakima and it's 56 degrees. The temperature has been hanging out there for a few weeks. The average low is 29, which also sounds about right. The record high for March was 80 and the record low -1. So, there's a wide range of possibilities.

Tentative list of planting choices:  Cantaloupe (three plants), zucchini, yellow crookneck, different kinds of lettuce, kale, carrots, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, anaheim peppers, jalapenos, fennel, brussels sprouts, beets, chard, cabbage, and flowers to bring the bugs. And whatever else we think of that we love. Don't think I'll do beans again. Too much energy to harvest.

Taz is 15 weeks and out in her new dog run to keep her safe and us sane. A few days ago she chased the trash truck a block with me in hot pursuit in my pajamas and no bra. What a sight that must have been for the neighbors. Thankfully, our neighbors are rarely around. The only thing that sent her back my direction was the trash truck backing up with its beep beep beep, which scared the crap out of Taz. Naughty dog. Then a few days ago she chased a neighbor who lives above us. But she didn't just chase the car, she chased him to his front door. That was embarrassing. But since his dog practically lives at our house, I wasn't that embarrassed.

No comments: